Patsy Cline is one of American music’s most iconic female vocalists. Patsy left her mark on American music history with her incredible country voice and emotional delivery.
She also had some fantastic knowledge at a young age, as evidenced in her 18 best quotes. The one that sums up Patsy’s humor and spirit is when she said, “In childhood, I developed a serious throat infection, and my heart stopped beating. I recovered from that illness with a voice that boomed forth like Kate Smith’s!”
Patsy was born Virginia Patterson Hensley in 1932. She had an eight-year recording career and became one of the first country music artists to crossover into pop music.
Her career included massive hits like ‘I Fall to Pieces’ and ‘Crazy.’ She sang on three timeless albums, including 1957’s ‘Patsy Cline,’ 1961’s ‘Patsy Cline Showcase,’ and 1962’s ‘Sentimentally Yours.’
She began performing at the age of fifteen at a local radio station. She landed feature performances on ‘Connie B. Gay’s Town and Country’ TV broadcasts. Patsy signed to ‘Four Star’ record label in 1954.
After marrying in 1957 and giving birth in 1958, she moved to Nashville. She became a ‘Grand Ole Opry’ member and moved to Decca Records in 1960. Her 1961 single ‘I Fall to Pieces’ became her first number 1 on the Billboard country chart.
She is an icon for female vocalists, and her ‘Greatest Hits’ album sold over 10 million copies decades after her initial success. Patsy Cline remains a fantastic inspiration to country singers everywhere.
1. “It seems that every time I stick my neck out, I get my foot into something else.”
2. “I’m gonna be something one of these days.”
3. “Carnegie Hall was real fabulous, but you know, it ain’t as big as the Grand Ole Opry.”
4. “I’ve become a captive of my own ambitions.”
5. “The one thing I wanted to do more than anything else was sing country music.”
6. “If I made a list of the people I admire, Mom would probably fill up half of it. She could do anything and everything.”
7. “I’m not making up my mind about anything right now. Things are happening so quickly for me, and I’m still in the thinking stage.”
8. “I can’t miss a night’s work and let my public down.”
9. “I recorded a song called, ‘I Fall to Pieces,’ and I was in a car wreck. Now I’m worried because I have a brand-new record, and it’s called Crazy!”
10. “I have gotten more than I asked for. All that I ever wanted was to hear my voice on record and have a song among the Top 20.”
11. “I would never have gone anywhere if it hadn’t been for Mother’s faith and support.”
12. “Anybody that’ll stand up to The Cline is all right.”