9-year-old challenged with a school project – what she invents is incredible!

Life can be pretty stressful at times, especially if you’re juggling a job and raising children. Sometimes, this stress can get on top of us, especially when we’re rushing around to meet deadlines, get the kids to school, pick up the groceries, or any other number of chores and activities we need to do to get through the day. In a fast-paced world, mistakes can be made. And some of those mistakes can be life-threatening.

It is estimated that around 40 babies die each year in the US – by being left in the back of a hot car. Parents dash into a store to pick something up thinking they’ll only be gone for a minute or two, or they can completely forget the baby is there at all. And while we might be quick to throw the book at them – it’s extremely easy to do, and there is extensive research behind why the human brain can be so forgetful – even of something as precious as your own baby.

Surely there must be a way to prevent such tragedies from happening in the wake of human error? Perhaps one of the multi-million-dollar car companies can come up with an answer? No – it was a 9-year-old girl who invented a life-saving gadget as part of a school project!

Enter Sophie, a fourth-grade student who was given the challenge to come up with an invention that had not been thought of before. The project was part of her school’s “invention convention” which was to showcase some great idea’s that the inventors of tomorrow could potentially come up with. Never mind the inventors of tomorrow – how about the inventors of today?!

Sophie wanted to make a device to help parents, so she came up with the ingenious “baby forget me not,” a simple device that helps a parent to remember that their child is in the back of their car. Her mom helped her put the prototype together – and we’re sure it’s going to be a big hit with parents across the US. It simply connects to your baby’s wrist and then onto your car-key fob, so when you turn the engine off you can’t dash out into the shop leaving your loved one behind!

Check out the video below to see how Sophie has done it – and share it with parents everywhere!