Dog who was almost euthanized alerts neighborhood to potentially deadly gas leak

Kailey, a three year-old shepherd mix, was underweight and had a serious case of heart worms when she landed at Dekalb County Animal Services. Worse, she’d been badly mistreated by her previous owners and didn’t trust people. Although the shelter was able to find her a foster home, they had no luck finding Kailey a forever home after a year of searching. Jacqueline Berlin, her foster mom, explained: “Her one issue was that something has happened to her in in her past so that if you try to touch her and she did not know you she would snap at you. Because of her issue it was really hard to get her adopted.”

It was starting to look like Kailey was going to have to be put to sleep. Fortunately, Jacqueline decided to post a final, desperate plea on the shelter’s Facebook page. Suzy Chandler saw it and decided to give the dog a chance. “The story of what she had been through and it just pulled on our heartstrings, we just thought we would be the perfect people for her. It was a perfect match.”

Several weeks after Suzy adopted her, Kailey started behaving strangely. “All of a sudden she just started barking and looking at us. And growling and like trying to get our attention. She pulled me directly over to the side yard. Right away I smelled overpowering gas and heard a loud whooshing sound.” Suzy called 911 right away. The firefighters who answered the call were able to evacuate everyone from nearby houses and an apartment complex. If the dog hadn’t detected the gas leak, there’s no telling what might have happened.

Suzy advice to everyone is: “If you have the space, you have room in your heart to take in a needy animal, to love on them, I mean it comes back to you tenfold.”

Check out the local TV station’s report that we’ve posted below and let us know what you thought of this hero dog in the comments at Facebook. Be sure to like and share!