Tasty provided us with a recipe for mashed potatoes that has just the right amount of classic culinary expertise mingled with a splash of cooking hack ingenuity. Mix thoroughly, and you have a great recipe anyone can follow, even if they don’t have any fancy cooking equipment at home.
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Add potatoes to pot and cover with cold water. Add salt to the water.
- Bring potatoes to a soft boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Check for doneness. The potatoes are ready when they are fork-tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Return potatoes to the pot and heat on medium-high, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes into a large bowl. If using a fine-mesh sieve, press the potatoes through the sieve using a rubber spatula, then scrape off what pushes through to the backside and place that in the bowl.
- Fold melted butter into the potatoes.
- Add heavy cream to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer then strain into a small bowl.
- Add the infused cream to your potatoes a little at a time, waiting for all to be incorporated before you add the next pour.
- Top the mashed potatoes as desired. We recommend a pat of butter, some black pepper, and some diced chives.